6. Informal first
Try to deal informally first:
1. Employees should be encouraged to raise grievances informally with their immediate line manager. Most grievances can be dealt with at this level.
2. Managers should be willing to first deal with grievances informally (irrespective of whether they are raised verbally or in writing).
3. Whenever an informal grievance is raised, the manager should arrange to meet the employee as soon as is reasonably practicable to establish why he or she is dissatisfied and to look for a solution to the problem.
4. Always take notes, confirm actions and/or outcome by email and inform HR.
5. Effective/continuous management will prevent most matters escalating.
6. Company procedure may state informal first.