8.5 Flexible working

Any employee may request a change to their hours or place of work (and those with more than 26 weeks’ service have the statutory right to do so), provided they are making the request in relation to:

  • A child under 17 years old (18 if the child is disabled) for whom they have or expect to have responsibility for the upbringing or in order to care for the child.
  • A person aged 18 or over who is in need of care where the employee is, or expects to be caring for such a person.

The employer may only refuse the request on certain legitimate business grounds. If the request is successful, the employment contract will need to be updated to reflect the change(s), which will be permanent and binding.