Legal advice for discrimination issues and claims
If you would like to speak to one of our solicitors on a confidential basis about Discrimination please call us on 0203 178 5361.
We are experienced discrimination lawyers known for achieving the maximum possible compensation for individuals through negotiation and litigation. We regularly advise senior executives and other high net-worth individuals on discrimination claims where they have been treated less favourably because of a “protected characteristic” (sex, race, disability, age, pregnancy and/or maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, religion or belief and gender reassignment – Equality Act 2010). We are committed to helping clients achieve fair treatment.
Individuals ordinarily have three months less one day from the date of a discriminatory act to bring a claim (although in some circumstances this is extended as a result of compulsory early conciliation via ACAS).
Specialist Discrimination solicitors
Our discrimination solicitors have many years’ experience in dealing with discrimination matters for clients. We will talk you through the law and how it applies to your factual situation. We will discuss your prospects of success and the evidence required to demonstrate your claims.
We have advised a great number of clients on discrimination matters before so we understand how stressful it is for you. We will provide clear-headed solutions for how to deal with the situation you face. We can help you to either extricate yourself from the situation or create a healthier work environment and stay on. Concurrently we will consider whether to bring an Employment Tribunal claim and/or negotiate a settlement with your employer or partnership. The Equality Act is there to protect you from discrimination so we will litigate your claim where it is necessary to do so.
As a result of their success, our London based team and our lawyers individually have received acclaim in the leading legal directories: Legal500 and Chambers & Partners.
Common Discrimination issues
Some of the most common issues we come across are:
- Dismissal – including selection for redundancy – for a discriminatory reason e.g. gender/sex, sexual harassment, childcare responsibilities (potentially indirect discrimination), race or nationality, age (e.g. the most senior or most junior members of a team), disability (and associated time off work or unwillingness to make the reasonable adjustments necessary to continue employment) and pregnancy or maternity leave (the intention to take, taking or returning from).
- Less favourable treatment at work because of a protected characteristic – whether in the form of harassment, being overlooked for promotion, demotion, unfair criticism, receiving lesser benefits or bonuses, and/or refusing flexible working without good reason.
- A failure to make reasonable adjustments for a disabled employee and/or discrimination arising from disability.
Recent Discrimination claims include
- Successfully litigating discrimination claims against and negotiating settlement packages with investment management companies, multi-national banks, inter-dealer brokers, commodities brokers, publishing companies, pharmaceutical companies, high-end fashion houses and UK banks.
- Advising employees suffering from mental or physical disabilities on their rights at work and dealing directly with their employers.
- Advising numerous senior executives on maternity and sex discrimination dismissals (including constructive dismissals) culminating in career-loss level settlements and exceptional compensation packages.
- Advising senior executives on subtle but demonstrable disability discrimination matters concluding in future-protecting compensation packages.
Talk to a specialist employment lawyer
If you would like to speak to one of our solicitors on a confidential basis about Discrimination please call us on 0203 178 5361 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We act for companies as well as individuals and find that this insight is extremely useful for strategising cases.